Cuban rueda courses
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we take extra measures to prevent coronavirus spreading. Click here for more info.
At Dame2Salsa we offer Cuban rueda (Cuban-style salsa danced in a group) classes for several levels over 3-month intensive periods. All classes are one hour and are held once a week. These cuban rueda classes are taught at Progreso Musical, near Argüelles metro in the center of Madrid. Instructions are given in Spanish, but English explanations can be given upon request.
Our 3-month courses (12 classes) are 36€ per month. If you sign up for two classes a week (24 classes), the price is 64€ per month.
The schedule is as follows:
Cuban rueda Level 1
Group 1: Tuesdays @ 21h
Group 2: Fridays @ 21h
Cuban rueda Level 2
Group 1: Mondays @ 21h
Group 2: Wednesdays @ 20h
Cuban rueda Level 3
Group 1: Tuesdays @ 20h
Group 2: Fridays @ 20h
Cuban rueda Level 4
Group 1: Wednesdays @ 21h
Cuban rueda Level 5
Group 1: Mondays @ 20h
To be announced
We will open registration for additional levels if the aforementioned groups become full. Please remember our groups are small, so these new groups would need enough students signed up and a balanced number of leaders/followers. So, if you want to join us but you can’t fit Dame2Salsa in your weekly schedule, contact us! We may be looking to open new groups and you could be the one who makes the group happen.
Making up classes: Students are allowed to make up one class per month, either in the same level (in courses with more than one group) or in a lower level (in courses with only one group). It is required to warn the teachers in advance about missing the class.
Which level am I?
As we have several levels, we are asked a lot which level you should join. This is a general idea about each level and who is it aimed for:
- Level 1: For even the first class, we will dancing salsa and rueda. You will learn pasos like dame, dame 2, enchufla (and its variations), el 70, el 1, 2, 3, 4, croqueta, and many more. Join level 1 if you have never danced salsa or if you have not done rueda.
- Level 2: If you have danced Cuban rueda and you are able to perform (lead if you dance as a leader, follow if you dance as a follower) the level 1 pasos, join level 2!
- Level 3: If you have learnt a lot of Cuban rueda, in this level we start to focus in pasos with a lot of interaction between rueda dancers: tumba francesa, babosa, etc., and a particular emphasis in co-calling and pasos al centro.
- Level 4: Perfecting Rueda moves, overall dance technique and partnerwork.
- Level 5: Musicality, rhythm and harder Cuban-style moves.
*What are Rueda Structures?
In Cuban Rueda or Rueda de Casino, the “normal” structure consists of a couples facing the center of the circle, changing partners clockwise or counterclockwise depending on what moves are called. But, in reality, this is just the tip of the iceberg for Rueda fans. Rueda structures change that basic concept. They introduce variations of shape (lines, crosses, concentric ruedas, ruedas made up of mini ruedas), new ways of changing partners and roles, and even combinations of these variations.
Here’s an example of a group doing combinations of various structures:
From time to time, we do single-subject courses dedicated to other dances or a particular group of salsa moves. These courses are normally are shorter in duration (offered over a day or week) and we publish them on Facebook.